Digital Marketing is an industry in itself that is growing rapidly since its inception. As the frequency and usage of the internet have increased, this stream as a profession is picking up its pace. The rapid development of modern technology requires bright minds to keep up with it. There are many businesses turning their efforts in digital marketing for their search for new tools of expansion and customer acquisition.
Digital marketing’s growth is primarily dependent on how many internet users are there in the country, which is growing at a rate of 31.96% year-on-year (YoY) as per the third Dentsu Aegis Network exchange4media Digital Report.
This is humongous for a new stream of study for businesses to enter in.
The constantly evolving digital marketing industry is diverse enough to break into many other subparts. And also with technology development, there is an observed change in the market scenario and evolving customer needs. Some of the components of digital marketing include:
• Search engine optimisation (SEO)
• AI & Machine learning (ML)
• Social media marketing, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and more
• Search engine marketing (SEM) that includes pay-per-click (PPC) advertising
• Mobile marketing, including SMS
Following are the key benefits of choosing digital marketing as a career option in 2019:
1. Become an in-demand professional – There is a huge requirement for well trained digital marketers in corporate companies across the country as they have adopted digital marketing as a mode of promoting their products and services. However, there is a lack of qualified professionals in this field. It is estimated that by the year 2020, there will be 15, 00, 000 digital jobs in India. So, people who want to make their career in digital marketing will get an advantage in the coming future as demand exceeds supply.
2. Wide range of career options – Digital marketing does not restrict you to one specific job profile or one specific industry. Digital marketing is now used widely in several industries such as automobile and banking to government departments. Making a choice depends on the professional who has to set up his or her career in digital marketing. New online jobs are coming up regularly for different organisations and enterprises. This gives an additional benefit of being choosy about the kinds of job roles.
3. Attractive salary packages – Starting salary for digital marketers in India can range from Rs 20,000 per month to Rs 35,000 per month. Experienced professionals can expect to earn more than Rs 1 Lakh per month. The demand and supply for digital professionals are inversely proportional to each other. The demand is more and the supply is meagre; hence the salary offered is also higher.
4. Become an entrepreneur – Digital marketing offers you the opportunity to start your own business. Digital marketers who have the skills to generate leads online can promote any business online. It could be a small e-commerce store or an actual business with lead generation done through online methods. Since financial investment is low for online businesses, working professionals can easily set up their own business & become an entrepreneur. In traditional careers such as advertising, people need an internship or some work experience to start their careers. But, in the case of digital marketing, there is no minimum age limit/degree/certificate to enter the industry; you can start your own website or online business and start your career any time.
5. Flexibility in career – Unlike other professions where you need to complete your degree or diplomas to launch your career, digital marketing does not need such prerequisites. The digital world offers large opportunities to begin your career in digital marketing without even stepping into an office. To cater to this huge demand – a large number of institutes around the world both in online/offline space started offering digital marketing programmes. However, whether its Coursera/Google/Upgrad in online or Digital Gurukul in offline, students need to consider the fact that when it comes to digital marketing, one, it is an ever-evolving field that needs you to be updated with the most recent tools to make your campaigns successful, and, second, demands a hands-on experience on various tools so that your execution can be seamless.
Whether you are getting into employment or considering digital marketing for your new business, you need to understand that as a digital marketer, you will be selling an experience, not the product! The customer has remained the king for centuries and continues to be the same and your marketing tools, methods and strategies are expected to be remarkably modernised and meeting the industry standards.
(The author is director, Digital Gurukul)