JEE Advanced 2019: Expert tips to prepare for the exam
Tuesday, April 23, 2019
Aspirants should begin with preparing a systematic, foolproof, concept-wise revision plan ahead of JEE-Advanced 2019, writes Partha Halder
The second edition of JEE-Main concluded on April 12, 2019. Engineering aspirants who have done well in JEE-Main and are eyeing a seat in their dream IIT, have just crossed the first hurdle. Up next is, JEE-Advanced 2019 scheduled on May 27, 2019. With just 5-6 weeks remaining before JEE-Advanced 2019, for every aspirant the most critical phase of preparation has begun.
Before hitting the ground running for JEE Advanced 2019, one must take a break of 1-2 days; relax completely. The following tips might help in your preparation:
- During revision, remember it is the quality of time spent that is important and not just the quantity. You must engage in concept-wise revision and not chapter wise.
- While revising, you must pick up representative questions specific to a concept or chapter and solve them. As a result, while solving a question you will be reminded of certain concepts or techniques studied earlier and hence other related things will get refreshed.
- If you did not get sufficient time to revise class XI syllabus before class XII board exam and/or before JEE Main, then you must do it now as 40-45% of the questions in JEE Advanced could be from class XI syllabus.
- JEE Advanced 2019 will consist of two question papers, each of three hours duration. Each question paper consists of three separate sections – Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. The questions are of objective type designed to test comprehension, reasoning and analytical thinking ability of candidates. It is a conceptual based paper hence students should revise the concepts thoroughly along with their application. They should refer to JEE Advanced question paper of previous years.
- Develop strategy for time management in between the sections – Physics, Chemistry and Math.
- One must subscribe to a good All India Computer Based (Mock) Test Series. Such test series should be conducted in simulated environment and it should offer pattern proof approach so that students are prepared for all kind of surprises.
- Performance in mock test must be analysed, drawbacks must be identified and steps for improvement must be prepared.
- While writing the tests you should look at building the right exam temperament, body clock adjustment, ability to focus in various test-taking environments etc.
- Maintain concept clarity at all times, there should not be any room for any kind of doubts. Every question will have some unique keywords. Keep a note of it while reading the question.
- Success in JEE Advanced is directly proportional to the number of questions solved by you and not solution seen by you. Hence, you must not refer to the solution without solving a question by yourself.
- Question selection is extremely crucial. Every paper consists of easy, moderate and difficult questions. JEE Advanced will be no different. Hence while solving mock test, develop an eye for selecting the right question.
- Keep referring to high quality notes prepared over the last 18 months.
- To pursue the above points, one must remain physically fit and mentally focussed. Hence practice meditation to develop inner calm. This will matter a lot and will help you on the day of examination. Do not overstress/overstretch yourself. Around 6-7 hours of sleep is a must. Late night study must be avoided. Include physical activity in your daily schedule to remain fit.
(The author is centre head, FIIT JEE, Punjabi Bagh, New Delhi)