Documents and Visa Expenses
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Documents required for a visa application are:
- A Valid Passport
- One recent Passport size photograph (Black and White or Color)
- A Non-immigrant Visa Application (Form 156) available from the Consular section
- Form I-20 executed by the authorizing official of institution concerned, signed by the applicant
- Transcripts and diplomas/degrees from previous educational institutions attended
- Scores of TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.
- Financial evidence or proof showing that you or your parents are sponsoring you and have sufficient financial resources to fund your tuition and living expenses during the course of your study. Staying beyond the period of time authorized by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and being out-of-status in the United States is a violation of U.S. immigration and may cause you to be ineligible for a visa in the future for return travels to the US.
You need to pay the visa fee in Indian Rupees by Bank Draft. A visa fee may include the following:
- Non-immigrant visa application processing fee, Form DS-156 (non-refundable): $131.00,
- Border crossing card - 10 year (age 15 and over) non-refundable: $131.00,
- Border crossing card - (under age 15). For Mexican citizen if parent or guardian has or is applying for a border crossing card (non-refundable): $13.00,
- L Visa- Fraud Prevention and Detection for visa applicant in the L blanket petition abroad only (principal applicant only): $500.00,
- Payment of US $100 for the SEVIS fee.